Rice University logo

Top blue bar image
Just another weblog

7/25/11 Journal Entry

I honestly can’t believe that I’m writing this entry, the very day after I wrote about doubting the value of my service. Last night, my partner (Estrella) spoke to our supervisor. Estrella was mainly updating Emilia on some personal matters. I was eating dinner with my host-mom when Estrella ran into the kitchen and exclaimed, “We got the grant, we got the grant!” I literally almost spilled the delicious fideo soup Tania made that night. We both just hugged and screamed and threw out about one-hundred “Oh my gosh!” After the difficult talk with our town leader and days of uncertainty, we finally got word that our application for the construction of the preschool was accepted! To make the news even more exciting, we could start as soon as the next day! I was without words, but full of squeals that whole night. We celebrated with buying a coke and sharing it (I know, a little silly). The grant means a lot to me and my partners; all three of us spoke to many community members who all expressed a great need for the preschool. Yes, this is a success for us but it is so much more for the community. The town leader didn’t really want the preschool project; this worried community members because most of the time what he says goes. But every member we spoke to talked about how it would not only help parents and children now, but it would be something that would benefit future generations as well. This is the main reason why I feel productive, but there is more! =) This Thursday we are having a workshop on teen pregnancy for all the young people of the community; and next Monday, we are having a workshop on human right for the community as well. Both workshops are being facilitated by great and reputable non-profits. On top of that, today is our first day including our second young person in our campamentos. She knows the two other jovenes we were hoping to include, so hopefully we can get them for the last three days of campamentos this week. All in all, I’m really looking forward to these last 14 days; even though it seems like a short time, I believe there is still so much to do and I can’t wait!