Rice University logo

Top blue bar image
Just another weblog

7/30/11 Journal Entry

It’s taken me a while to get to this journal entry. These past days have been pretty busy and I haven’t gotten much alone time. I believe my service is making a difference. I really want to invest more time on the CBI, now that we’ve gotten started. Also, after talking to my supervisor, I really want to make a list of activities that I haven’t done or people I haven’t talked to in Maria Jesus and make an effort to take advantage of those opportunities. One thing is going to see a water system up in the mountains that community members have been working on. We weren’t able to go because the day before we were scheduled to go, I sprained my toe during a soccer game. Also, I’d like to get to know my host-mom’s grandfather. He’s such a sweet man and I would like to have a conversation with him that goes beyond, “Buenos dias, senor.” I’m sure he has great stories to tell about his life. In regards to improving my service, I’m excited to compile all the fun lessons we’ve done into a binder and leave with the jovenes of the community. It’s our way of (hopefully) leaving a little bit of us in Maria Jesus. As of now, I have nine days left in community, so I better get started on that Maria Jesus bucket list.